Unemployment reaches 10.1 percent in July 2019

Economy
baljmaa.ts@montsame.gov,mn
2019-08-16 12:45:55

Ulaanbaatar /MONTSAME/. The National Statistical Office of Mongolia (NSO Mongolia) released a report on the social and economic situation of Mongolia in the first seven months of 2019. 


In labor force sector, "Updated methodology for estimating employment statistics", approved by a joint resolution of the Chairperson of NSO Mongolia and the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection, is being used since January 2019. In this regard, the Labor force survey, with a new methodology and its definitions, is the main data source for producing main indicators of the labor statistics of Mongolia. The result of the labor force survey in the second quarter of 2019 shows that there are 1.3 million persons in the labor force from the population aged 15 years and over at national level. 


This means that the labor force participation rate is 60.8 percent, in which labor force participation rate for the male is 68.7% and 53.8% for the female. The proportion of employment in the working age population or the employment to population ratio is 54.6 %, in which the employment to population ratio for the male is 61.3% and 48.7% for the female. An unemployment rate is 10.1%, showing an increase compared to the same period of 2018, which was at 7.5 percent. 


Registered unemployed


By the end of July 2019, the Labor and Social Welfare Services Agencies have registered 32.9 thousand job seekers, of which 22.4 thousand or 68.1% were registered unemployed and the remaining 10.5 thousand or 31.9% were employed but looking for a new job. Registered unemployed people decreased by 106 (0.5%). By region, 7.1 thousand unemployed or 31.8% of total registered unemployed were in Ulaanbaatar, 6.3 thousand or 28.0% were in the Khangai region, 3.8 thousand or 17.2% were in Western region, 3.0 thousand or 13.3% were in Central region, and 2.2 thousand or 9.7% were in the Eastern region. 


From total registered unemployed at the national level, 426 or 1.9% were with disabilities, of which 222 or 52.1% were women. In the first 7 months of 2019, the Labor and Social Welfare Services Agencies have recorded 45.8 thousand newly unemployed and 11.6 thousand registered persons were hired on a new job. For registered unemployed by level of educational attainment at the end of July 2019, 49.3% had high school education, 27.9% had diploma or bachelor degree, 7.2% had technical and vocational training, 6.3% had a secondary education, 4.5% had special secondary education, 2.6% had elementary school education, 1.3% had no education and 0.9% had masters and higher level of education. From total registered unemployed at national level, more than half or 56.8% was accounted for young people aged 15-34. 


Labor productivity

Preliminary estimation GDP per person employed reached MNT 4.2 million in the second quarter of 2019.


Source: www.1212.mn