Environment Minister meets state special protected areas administrations' officialsEnvironment
Ulaanbaatar /MONTSAME/ There are 34 state special protection areas administrations in Mongolia. Minister of Environment and Tourism D.Sarangerel held a meeting with authorities of the administrations on August 6, discussing about problems encountered in the environment and tourism industry, solutions for them and making amendments to current relevant laws and regulations.
Furthermore, the Minister presented 10 main goals of the sector, which require Government-level attention and exchanged views with the meeting attendees on this matter. The ten goals are:
• To reduce air pollution in Ulaanbaatar city up to 80 percent
• To conserve the Lake Khuvsgul, especially to resolve its soil pollution issue in priority
• To tackle fresh water issue in the capital city
• To implement “Eco toilet” project in ger areas of the capital city and tourism areas
• To focus attention on issues reflected at Sustainable Development Vision 2030
• To take fresh water resources and 55 percent of rivers under state protection
• To plant and raise rare animals and plants intentionally
• To carry out rehabilitation works immediately at the sites which have been destroyed due to mining activities
• To tackle waste-related issues at the advanced level
• To make rehabilitation on the Tuul River and resolve its soil pollution issue
During the meeting, attendees stressed that necessity has arisen to solve issues, such as making amendments to the Law on Special Protected Areas which was adopted in 1994 as well as raising rangers’ salary, resolving telecommunication issues, attaching attention on their health and making retirement age 55.